beluga

beluga

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Fall is knocking on our door

 


Fall officially starts this week, and I see evidence of it around me.    The trees are beginning to color and the fall wild flowers are showing themselves.



We had a frost this morning (good thing my potted plant's pre-programmed growing season is finished) and the lake is poking it's head out from under a foggy blanket most mornings.   Another cold morning is forecast for tomorrow.   Sigh.



sometimes we need a little fire at second cup!

Birds are banding up, seagulls form floats in the middle of the lake and large groups of beautiful  Cedar Waxwings fly between our trees eating bugs and talking quietly amongst themselves.   Spiders are becoming logy.



A reminder of the fall's upcoming election inserted itself  into our view as we were peacefully eating lunch last Saturday.



So much for fall.    Here are a few pictures of what remained of a relatively pleasant and uneventful summer.

early morning fog lifting



four skiers, count them, four skiers!  

last boat ride for the summer


lake view of the cottage and Beluga



this dear little flower grows up from our pebbly beach....only one



One afternoon we felt brave.   We've both been missing restaurants....really missing them.   We were in the city for a few quick pick-up errands so we decided to visit one our old favorite restaurants, Olives.
Well, "visit" meant to call in a take-out order, race in and get it, then drive to a waterfront spot along the Erie Canal to savor our gyros and Greek fries in the Jeep.   Phew, it was nice.

packet boat glides along the Canal


During the lower level's construction upheaval, I came across a few of my mother's travel journals.   I'd forgotten about them completely.   I remembered how embarrassed I was by them at the time, don't ask!   Now to see their happiness and read the little details of their lives, their small pleasures, just to see her handwriting, I realize what a gift they are to me.     





We did our absentee voting thing at the County Board of Elections last week.  I stepped to the huge window to take a picture of the beautiful valley view but when I put it on the blog I noticed it was smiling at me!   It was happy we voted I assume!



I'm so lucky to have a husband who likes getting up at dawn.
Thanks Dave



 

   

20 comments:

  1. Looks like everyone including Lewis is taking this in stride.
    Nice pictures.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sunrise. We rarely see those - too early. It's still hot here, I keep reminding myself it doesn't really end until Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEVER see those sunrises! Sweet Dave takes pictures of them for me, lucky girl!

      Delete
  3. It all sounds so wonderful...cool mornings, nature’s beautiful colors, busy birds, and boat rides. You really have a gorgeous setting there! You always have the cutest things in your yard...love the small statue under the banister with the vine and yellow bloom. Thanks for a Lewis photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gay. Life here in the summer is pretty nice. That little guy is my favorite too, I love his crossed toe and watchful eyes. I wonder what he's thinking about....

      Delete
  4. What a nice wrap-up for the season. I did a double-take on the picture of Lewis in the bushes. I thought he was a bear! Those travel journals are a treasure, and they make me pine for the days of real photos with pen & ink journaling. Autumn is surely a time of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lew loves to nestle down in the ivy but this time he came in with two ticks nestled happily on the top of his curly head! Argh!

      Delete
  5. You've certainly made the best of your covid-summer. Such great pictures of your corner of the lake, now starting show off its fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fall on a lake in New York sounds like heaven to me. Love the cool days and bright sunshine and gorgeous colors, but, like you, I know nothing of these "sunrises" you speak of. Thanks, Dave for sharing the beautiful views with those of us who are morning-challenged. Glad to hear you got some good takeout. I don't think any of us will ever again take for granted the joys of eating out. And speaking of not taking anything for granted, good for you for voting early. I am anxiously checking the mail every hour. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see a beautiful sunrise I always think I really should see one in person....then I roll over and snuggle in...

      Delete
  7. Oh, such a lovely ending to your summer—including the pleasure of an outdoor fire during second cup on the deck. When you mentioned your take-out meal from Olives it immediately transported me to the wonderful lunch we enjoyed there with you two last year. We miss you guys! What a gift to rediscover your mother's travel journals. I know exactly the bittersweet feelings those treasures evoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss seeing you two also, all our friends seem so far away this year....sigh
      Bittersweet is the right word, even after all these years.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photos of the changing season. Moving into my favorite time of year I miss being where the trees turn orange and red. So sorry you lake view was marred by the ugly boat. The fog on the early morning water is magical!! Won't be long before the dock is packed up for another year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me....I have to call to have the docks taken out pretty soon. Years ago we'd have a big party to celebrate the fall. No more.

      Delete
  9. Change is good, at least at this crazy time. The smiling window, Dave's sunrise capture and Precious seem to tell you to get a moving are all indication of the best of your summer 2020! And I almost missed Lewis smiling hiding in the green grass-
    -MonaLiza(just in case I can't comment again)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved seeing all the many faces of your beautiful lake. So many dramatic changes. It certainly is a special place to spend the summer, especially one with a virus keeping us all home. Glad Dave was up to capture the morning sunrise. Such a gorgeous photo. I, too, thought it was a bear for a second then remembered how Lew loves to lay in the ivy. Glad you decided to give take out a try. Nice lunch spot. That's as far as we are willing to go even though the restaurants here are open to 50% capacity. Almost time to hit the road!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lake does provide us with beautiful pictures. You'd think the same view, day after day, would be boring. The clouds, the wind on the lake, the beautiful eastern skies, the birds and the lake's changing faces make it anything but boring. It's even beautiful when covered with snow but I'm not all that into those views anymore......

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post for such a confusing summer! We are definitely in fall here as well! Give Lew a hug from me!
    Sherry in MT

    ReplyDelete