beluga

beluga

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Utah

 I forgot to show you one last photo from Henrys Lake.   If you know me, you know that I rarely ever see a sunrise.   I'm sure they're always pretty and I know lots of people enjoy them, I'd just rather sleep!    I did manage to see this one, however, and I loved it.   Henrys Lake saying goodbye!



We stopped in Tremonton, Utah for a few days to explore the huge Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge and do a bit of housekeeping and grocery shopping.    The ever present housekeeping and food shopping.....     


Dave had a serious hankering for a hamburger and french fries....perhaps it was reading Gay's blog that put it in his mind.    No Five Guys in Tremonton or anywhere close so I found a place that I thought would fit the bill.    Peach City Diner in nearby Brigham City.   It was on the way to the Refuge and had outside seating so it was the first stop of our day.


The burgers were delicious as were the fresh cut french fries and homemade fry sauce!   The day was sunny and warm so sitting outside was delightful.



We could see the spire of what we were pretty sure was the Temple, so after lunch we drove down pretty, Sycamore lined Main Street to see it.


We got a real bonus.....We found the Temple, and right across the street stood the beautiful Brigham City Tabernacle, built in 1897.









What beautiful buildings they both were, standing in places of prominence.   I have to admit that we were both drawn to the old Tabernacle rather than the more stark Temple.


After a little stroll around we got back into the Jeep to head for the Wildlife Refuge.


"World's Greatest Wild Bird Refuge"?   I'm not sure.    We stopped at the Visitor's Center and then took the 12 mile auto tour through the marshes and waterways.    


We didn't see many birds other than the normal swallows (zooming around eating the everpresent and annoying midges).    


There were a few white pelicans, and many Western Grebes diving and eating in the deeper waters.  It was fun watching them dive, disappear  and come up with dinner!



We're sorry to say that our visit to the "refuge" was a disappointing one, not because of the wildlife we saw, but disappointing nonetheless.    I'll leave it at that.

Today Dave and Beluga fought the strong winds to get us safely to our next stop in Helper/Price, Utah.

This is the view out my window today - Blue Cut.   Exploring Nine Mile Canyon is on our agenda tomorrow or Tuesday.    Stay tuned. 






13 comments:

  1. What magnificent buildings! Mike would rather have a hamburger and fries than any other meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave has a definite soft spot for a good burger and fries....I really only like what I think are exceptional fries, and these were exceptional fries. I'm glad I got my own order and didn't mooch his! A sign outside the Tabernacle said all were welcome, but....the doors were locked, otherwise we would have loved to see the inside!

      Delete
  2. Definitely agree the old Tabernacle has more appeal. The bricks and stones have so much character and I'm sure stories to tell ! We have never stopped at the Bird Refuge. We are either in a hurry or its the wrong time of day. Totally agree...fries make the burger meal. Happy your taste buds were delighted. What a beautiful sunrise at Henry's lake. I do think it is my favorite time of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should really try and see more sunrises, everyone says how beautiful they are.....

      Delete
  3. That's interesting...Gay must have gotten us all thinking burger. I was looking forward to a burger yesterday, also. But...the brewery on the Riverwalk closed for a couple hours between brunch and dinner on Sundays. We stopped at the closed time! Darn! Nine Mile Canyon has been on my radar forever. One day we'll route that way! Looking forward to what you find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never underestimate the power of suggestion! Our campground lady (owner) showed me a few pictures of petroglyphs she and her husband have seen and gave me her "interesting" take on them. Can't wait to go tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. THe last time we were in Brigham City we went for a walk downtown in the cold, (it actually snowed!) and we agree the Tabernacle is a much better looking building. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we both agreed that the Temple accomplished it's assumed goal of leading they eye skyward, but the detail and colors of the Tabernacle appealed to our detail oriented selves!

      Delete
  5. Yep, the tabernacle is the more interesting building. In May 2017 we were in Brigham, it snowed on us. We spent a lot of time in the RV, running the space heaters. The 2019 stay was better, but we were only there for one night. We've never made it to the bird refuge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our only complaint, weather wise, was the terrific wind! Sometimes I could barely get the Jeep's door open!

      Delete
  6. Maybe it isn't the right time of year for lots of migratory birds at the refuge?? But I always love seeing the White Pelicans. And I'm always, always grateful for the swallows and their insatiable appetites for annoying bugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL at the burger and fry contagion. The Tabernacle (fun word) is so pretty, love the row of spire-topped pillars along the side. Wildlife Refuges are always wonderful or just meh for us. Always worth checking out though. So glad you're doing Nine Mile Canyon!!!! Hopefully you had good lighting to catch lots of art.

    ReplyDelete