beluga

beluga

Friday, June 28, 2013

Friday

Its 9:30 p.m. and its still broad daylight!  We were just sitting outside reading, enjoying the beautiful evening. I can't believe how light it stays here.  So another abbreviated blog for you.

The Thesaurus gave me these  synonyms for beautiful : dazzling, magnificent, splendid, stunning, sublime, awesome, astonishing, breathtaking, grand, majestic, awe inspiring.   Yep, all of them apply to the Going to the Sun Road, but none of them really do it justice.

Once again, I have way too many pictures for one post, so I guess I'll just show you some every day until I'm satisfied you see how "beautiful" this place is.

the jade colored water is surreal








the water cascading from the "weeping wall" poured over us as we drove by

80 - 90 feet of snow fall each year on this road.  this year it was finally cleared of snow and opened on June 22.
(pay no attention to that crack in the windshield....)

beauty everywhere you look, distant vistas or close inspections







yesterday's last picture was a close-up of this wall of snow
Thats all for now.

Today we relaxed in the morning, enjoyed second cup and rhubarb muffins outside in the warm sunshine.
After lunch we just drove around the area, turning whichever way we felt like.  We discovered a sweet, jade green lake just across the highway from our campground.  Lake Five.    Then we took a paved, but very rough road back to the Hungry Horse Dam and Reservoir.  Another spot that defies description.  Dave didn't think I should take any more pictures today, but I couldn't help myself.   I don't know when I'll show them to you, maybe after the rest of the Going to the Sun road shots.   If you don't like seeing pictures of mountains, flowers, and water, you probably shouldn't bother to read the blog for a few days!

5 comments:

  1. You make laugh every time I read your blog!!

    I enjoy pictures of mountains, flowers, and water so I guess I'll have to tune in for the next few days.

    Glacier is such a splendid place with magnificent views, awesome waterfalls, glorious snowy mountains, and amazing flowers! Glad you added all the synonyms!

    I can't believe how tall the wall of snow is! Boy, those rocks are really weeping! This warm weather you are having is really turn up the melt. Don't float away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 30 miles to your south down highway 2 is a pullout called Goat Lick, just past the community of Essex Montana. Marcia saw a mother goat with a kid, but I forgot the camera and missed it. But we were there in August, and in June there are typically more goats there. Well worth the 30+ minute drive, (map=http://binged.it/1aVXj8c), and if you are thinking about heading east later, this route might be an option...you might want to continue the drive all the way to Browning just to survey the route.

    Dave (Marcia and Bubba and Skruffy)
    GoingRvWay.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This area defies written descriptions...such a beautiful resource.

    My favorite picture? Dave by the wall of snow...fabulous! Can't wait for you guys to get back east. Pretty soon I'm going to hitch up Tristan and come and get you! Oops....might have to be Tinker so we can fit everybody in the cart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Goodness!

    The part of CO we visited today (Crested Butte) is something like MT. Beauty overload! I love it!

    Isn't this life grand?

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete