beluga

beluga

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sunday - August 11

Rain, humidity, rain, rain


Thursday and Friday morning it just rained and rained.  Good thing - we got the patio and porch squared away before the downpour...Bad thing - we planted lots of new Hosta's and they looked like they were going to drown.

Friday afternoon the sky finally cleared, the sun came out and all the water dried up.   I think we dodged the bullet and the Hosta's look much happier.   I know we are.

The weather turned just in time for the visit of a dear friend, recently relocated from California.   Barb pulled in  time for cocktails on the porch and a good fish fry.  She planned on staying overnight so we were able to enjoy a fire in the chiminea and some good catch up conversation.


Barb and Dave chat on the back porch

a private "campfire" 

We all slept well and after second cup on the patio, Barb and I set out to  take a stroll down Main Street in  Geneseo and see it through different eyes -eyes of a traveler instead of a long time resident.   She hadn't been in the area for many years and I'm trying to look at things as if I'm still discovering them, so...here are some shots of our beautiful village.

Geneseo has recently received National Historic Landmark Status.
Barb stands in front of one of the Garden Club's beautiful plantings.





a college student loft
Geneseo is a unique little village.   It is home to one of the most well respected New York State Universities, is the County seat and  the home of the second oldest Fox Hunt in the United States.   A town where its not unusual to find the obituary of a much loved old horse in the local newspaper. Horses are revered here, they are part of our history, as children's teachers, trusted foxhunters, working companions.

 Geneseo is a combination of historic homes, parks, government buildings, greenways, student housing and rolling farms populated by cattle and horses and is often crossed by the Genesee River.   A valley that reminds me of places in Ireland.





"the bear" fountain in the middle of Main Street has watched traffic go from horse drawn carriages to automobiles during its 122 years.

close up of the bronze bear atop the fountain

a "coop" over one of the wire fences crisscrossing our valley
these coops allow the field of hunting horses to jump into and out of pastures without opening and closing gates.
they are an iconic part of this area

one of the small local parks along the Conesus creek


I'm really enjoying seeing our home town as a stranger would.   I'll continue to explore and photograph what we've always taken for granted.  

One more thing that our "excellent adventure" has taught us.....take a moment and really see what you are looking at, enjoy it and share it.


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely village. You brought a smile to my face when I read about the horses and the obituary. Now that is love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this post very much. Lovely area! You are right about taking a moment and seeing! The same idea hit me after returning this spring from our six months on the road. Enjoying your own home town as if you were a visitor. Amazing revaluation for me upon returning this time!

      Delete
  2. Hey, that's my office building above Buzzo!!! Nice shot. Maybe I'll ask to grab that one for my website in directing clients to my office.

    In fact, maybe I'll just hire you to do my updates and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tour of your town, especially since we are missing the opportunity to see it ourselves. Glad we did get to see this very cute area you call home.

    ReplyDelete