beluga

beluga

Monday, April 1, 2024

March

It's the end of March already - Opps, I guess it's April 1 today!    March has flown by.    The weather has been changeable, volatile really.     I guess March is like that everywhere but I'm through with it now.    No snow, but wild skies, cool temps and lots of rain....It's not fun walking Taos in the rain, almost every hour on the hour!    He doesn't like it either.      Come on April!


Luckily the threatening skies are usually passing through, sometimes dumping on us, sometimes just racing along to their destination.    Sometimes they bring us pretty rainbows.








March wasn't ALL puppy care and yucky weather.   Dave continued to help Steve work their magic on his Trans Am and we enjoyed a short visit from Pam and John.    You know she had to see Taos before he became a big guy!





On Tuesday we loaded Pam, John and Taos into the Jeep and headed out in the desert to look for a new to us Crested Saguaro.    We (I) had a very rudimentary map with no writing or instructions on it, other than an entry point gate so we did some serious bumbling with no Saguaro success.      Taos did very well, rolling and bouncing around in his crate, as we went up rocky hills, down rocky hills, frequently stopping and turning around to retrace our steps or look at wildflowers.   

John stands guard while Pam takes pictures.

Taos sniffs Lupine

 As I was walking away from photographing a pretty hedgehog (I think) cactus flower, not watching where I was going.....I was attacked by a Jumping Cholla.


It attached itself to my forearm, the side of my shoe and left several single barbs stuck to my shirt......ouch.      Luckily, we carry a Leatherman in the Jeep so Dave came to the rescue.

ouch!




The adventure wasn't a total loss, we all love just being out in the desert on a beautiful day.    As we were about to give up and head home, a couple in a side-by-side stopped to say hello.   We chatted a few minutes (they didn't know the whereabouts of our Crested either) but they asked if we saw the "big red rock" along the dry riverbed.....Nope, we didn't, so off we went!   


 Whoa!    It was huge and very red and beautiful.   So glad we took this little detour.

the Jeep looks tiny

 It was getting late, and Taos had eaten his fill of sand, (no, he didn't really get his fill because we put him back in the Jeep as soon as we realized what he was doing!) so we headed back to Wickenburg and dinner with Steve and MonaLiza. 

the food from Hassayampa BBQ was very good, no matter what John's face says!


 Hmmmm.    I think this post has become long enough.    I'll show you Taos photos in a couple days.....stay tuned.




        



21 comments:

  1. We always carry a pocket comb to remove Jumping Chollas, use it as the "initial attack", often followed up by a Leatherman or pliers to get the remaining ones. Annabelle is seriously cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left the comb in the backpack in the garage so I was very happy the Leatherman was still in the Jeep! She's awfully cute and very intense....One of her favorite toys is that stuffed alligator we brought from New Orleans.....

      Delete
  2. That was a motley crew there at the end! Gotta watch out for those cholla's! Love that picture of Toas, such a curious pup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Watch out for those chollas" is the advice I give everyone new to the desert but, evidently, I failed to heed my own advice! Curious doesn't begin to describe Taos!

      Delete
  3. Annabelle is giving her alligator an intense look! Nice to see John and Pam out with you. That Nimble Hiker hasn't blogged in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she was trying to will it to move toward her! Telekinesis? Maybe, with the new rig, they can be convinced to blog again? Maybe?

      Delete
  4. That photo of Annabelle is so cute! What, no photos of Taos?? So sorry you didn't find that crested and dang it about the cholla--those things are nasty! Lovely storm and rainbow photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a cutie for sure! I included one little head view of Taos sniffing the Lupine (just before he snapped the head off it!). The next post will be his, stay tuned....
      People are so darned secretive about crested locations.....grr They give just enough info. to frustrate us in our search!

      Delete
  5. I agree, the weather in March was crazy but sure made for interesting skies. Sounds like a fun desert outing with the exception of the run in with the cholla. Little Annabelle is adorable and growing. I'm sure your looking forward to a visit this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Arizona skies are one of the best parts of living here! Almost any desert outing is a good one for us, well - except for the cholla attack! Anabel is really growing fast, we do look forward to our summer visit, she'll be a year old then!

      Delete
  6. I think I have seen that rock from Highway 60 as we drive through when the sun hits it right. Anabel and Taos are both growing up like weeds and both are adorable! Dave one hell of an all around friend, Steve greatly appreciates you (for letting us borrow your man) and Dave for the many hours he had worked with him. Im just glad both of them had a great time and enjoying every minute of it.-ML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for it now that I know it's there! It certainly was a surprise and so different than everything around it.
      Dave had a ball working on the car and working with Steve. I'm glad it turned out so well, it's a beautiful thing!

      Delete
  7. It’s always great seeing friends…even if it’s just photos! What a great pic of Rocky beside that beautiful big red rock! It’s so cool Annabelle loves her gator…and my how she is growing. Joe and I think the AZ skies are very entertaining…great captures Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, seeing friends is always great. Looking forward to seeing you two again.
      I was really surprised when I saw that photo of Rocky next to the Rock, I hadn't realized just how huge it was til then!. Anabel is very intense, with her toys and with her learning experiences. She's crawling now and it she worked at it with great effort and seriousness.

      Delete
  8. We have had some yucky weather with very changing skies. I'm finished, too! Great photos! I love that we have our new little rig and it travels to Wickenburg so easily. You might get tired of us!!! It was SO exciting meeting Taos. What a sweetheart:) Thanks to driver, Dave, for a fabulous desert drive. Super fun dinner with Steve and ML and getting to see and hear the new car in action. What a sweet photo of Annabelle discussing with the stuffed creature:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, Annabelle with the alligator is so adorable! They are obviously having a very important discussion, LOL.

    So many good times captured in this blog with good friends. I love seeing all of you together. ❤️ But sorry you got attacked by a cholla. They really do seem like they jump, and it's hard to find and remove all of the spines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anabel whispers things to her confidants, I'm sure that's why Alligator is so attentive.
      I can say for all of us, we wish you were here with us!
      You're right, I did find a few errant spines later on....ahem.

      Delete
  10. I don't comment very often, but I have to say the pictures of Taos are amazing. Taos in the dishwasher just killed me! The dinner with John and Pam was great. I love following your blog, I just wish I could get notifications when you publish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve! Some people seem to get notifications, some don't and I don't know why....I try to remember to send you two personal notifications though.

      Delete
  11. Oops for me as well, I'm behind again! I, too, wish I could get notifications, and I even have a blogger account -- I need to re-investigate that. Anyhow, those cholla are brutal. I'm sorry one got you, and I used to think about how hard the SW would be with a doggie. At least you didn't find any rattlesnacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our older dogs, especially sweet Lewis, were quite cautious and didn't run around with abandon, so they escaped most of the desert's sharp stuff, but we always carry a Leatherman and a good old comb to remove the errant spine. Jury's out with this little guy though! Right now, he's more into eating everything he finds on the ground so it's up to us to be careful where he goes! A phase, I hope.

      Delete