beluga

beluga

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Zodiak day

Lots of pictures today.  I think I'm in my "blue period".....

To get the inflated Zodiac to the little boat ramp in the resort, Dave put its front into the rear of the jeep (tailgate) and walked behind holding up the back of the boat as I drove slowly to the water.  I'm sure people got a real laugh as we crept by, but it worked beautifully.  Once at the ramp, he clamped the motor on and off we went.
my view over the bow as we moved down the canal toward the gulf

when I turned around, this was  my sweet view



These signs were posted everywhere, we didn't even notice them anymore, until.....

this manatee surfaced right next to us



what are those spots in the mangroves, they're moving!

A pelican rookery

view of the lift bridge connecting Longboat Key with Ana Maria Island.   We're  going under it to beach the boat on  what we've always called "Beer Can Island".

looking for just the right spot to beach  Zodiak
Off to the gulf beach to explore and look for sand dollars




Its turtle nesting season and  nests are cordoned off by volunteers to try and keep the eggs safe.
For the duration of the season any lights facing the beach are either turned off or shielded so the turtles coming out of the gulf to lay their eggs are not mislead by the artificial light.  The nest below was just constructed last night!






half a buck is better than none, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment