beluga

beluga

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Departure

 When we last spoke Dave and I had just moved things into the "new" house.    The unpacking continued until every last box was emptied and  broken down and taken to the recycling center.   Phew, who knew it would take so many trips!


last load

Dave finished the few painting jobs I gave him and we got the bedroom settled, with Lew's help.   Putting the bed together is a puzzle best worked with friends.    I found a "sense of place" shower curtain for the master bedroom and Dave hung it after the paint dried.





We never did stay a night there, but we entertained (I use that term very loosely) friends with Sonoran Hot dogs for Dave's birthday, took advantage of the large grooming table to make Lewis more comfortable in the coming heat, and enjoyed quite a few happy hours out back.


don't you love his "man bun"

 After getting the thermostat settled on vacation mode, setting up slow drip buckets at each tree, checking all the door and window locks and unplugging various electric/tronic devices, and enjoying one more lunch with Steve and MonaLiza at Nichols West, we left Wickenburg for our four month (ish) road trip.  

 While we were filling those buckets in the back yard, a tiny bird fluttered up Dave's pant leg and t-shirt and landed in his outstretched hand.    It was begging and flapping and doing everything in it's power to elicit sympathy.


When I came over to look, it fluttered out of his hand to the ground and began to work me.   It followed me all over, pecking at my toes and tripping me.    I tried to lead it to some leafy shade so it could rest and wait for mama (who was calling and flying overhead) to swoop in, but it had decided that I was IT.    


When I tried to get into the house it abandoned it's ground antics and flew up my front to land on my shoulder to peck my hair and peep directly in my ear "don't you see me????? don't you hear me?????

Finally Dave came to the rescue and took the little guy off me and placed it in a nearby tree where mama was waiting.    We both hightailed it into the house....I hope the family was reunited and that mama was good enough.


I think we left in the nick of time as a dangerous heat wave was descending on the west.    Our first night on the road (last night) was at the very nice Elks Lodge RV park in Boulder City, NV.   The temperature was 111 degrees and we just couldn't get Beluga cooled down to a comfortable level.    Ugh!   Poor Lew burned his little feetsies on the blacktop trying to get to the stones to "get busy".   We showered, turned in early and hoped today would bring cooler temperatures as we moved north.    (I have no idea what is happening to the size and font type - things just changed as I was typing....gremlins?)


Today we decided to access I-15 north by driving through Lake Mead National Recreation Area instead of driving through the middle of Las Vegas.    It was a spectacular ride, as always.


We were happy campers as we passed the multi colored rock formations with views of the lake in the distance.



It's so good to be back on the road again.    Tonight we're in Cedar City, Utah and the weather is slightly cooler (99), a real relief.    Beluga is keeping us all comfortable tonight.    We'll be here for 4 nights to do some long overdue exploring and then head off to visit old friends in Salt Lake City.

   

16 comments:

  1. I can't blame you for wanting to escape that heat. When it's 99 in Cedar City, it's time to scram. Lew looks like he feels the way I do when TBG cuts my hair 😆 That hungry little bird is something else! I hope it got over its snit with momma bird. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does TBG make you lie down on a table to cut your hair too? Shhhh, don't tell Dave or he'll try that with me!

      Delete
  2. Cute bonding with the fledgling, a very trusting little fella. I bet it feels great to be back on the road, looking forward to your updates as your explorations continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does feel good to be back on the road. We almost forgot how to!

      Delete
  3. I hope that little Fledge will perch on my shoulders when we visit 1055 and will stop for Sonoran dogs!
    Its another scorcher in paradise!
    Yeah back on the road, it's about time!
    -ML

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's another scorcher in Utah also! Let me know if you see the baby, I hope Mama has taken it to a safe place! It was so cute and so very persistent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your shower curtain with a “sense of place”. It’s just perfect! It took us three months to get back on the road. We were so excited to crank up the MH and be on our way. Now I am homesick! What a crazy dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been homesick when we're in Beluga....it's our home! The sticks and bricks homes seem like vacations places, VRBO's almost. I know, I'm weird.

      Delete
  6. Ha! We just left Cedar City 3 days ago. We're now up in Torrey which we expected to be in the high 70's, but given the situation, we're happy with low 90's and absolutely ecstatic about the cloud cover. What a crazy heat wave. Stay cool and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry we didn't know you'd be here we could have accelerated our departure to cross paths for a day or so! Enjoy Torrey and I hope the temps. drop for all of us!

      Delete
  7. Ugh! 111 in a bus is no fun! I remember the travel days with the dash air overpowered and running the generator and the front roof air to stay comfortable (sort of). NO fun. Safe travels. I hope Lew's paws are ok. Will he wear boots? We have a neighbor with an apricot poodle and he wears them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lewis has worn a boot when he had his surgery last summer. He didn't fuss with it and wore it dutifully so I think he may not have a problem if we need to use them again. I'd rather the weather cooled down a bit so boots weren't necessary!

      Delete
  8. That heat wave is insane! And does not bode well for the next few months. :-( I'm so glad you guys settled into your new home and are now back on the road! That day will come again for us, too. But first, I need to get caught up on our blog from 2019, hahaha!!

    Lew's 'man bun' suits him,' your shower curtain is perfect, and I love the story of the little fledging who wanted to adopt you. It probably knew you were heading someplace cooler! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that poor little guy found his mom and some shade to ride out this awful heat wave.

      Delete
  9. Wow, I got behind fast!! Great story of your bonded baby bird :-) Sorry your first day was such a hot one but I know how excited you were to be heading back out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all either stopped blogging or cut way back but when we're out on the road again there's much to show and say! I'm enjoying keeping up with everyone again!

    ReplyDelete