beluga

beluga

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

More memory lane

Rainy and gray again today.   I think we're getting the very tail end of the terrible weather that our friends to the south have had to deal with.    We're very happy to hear they've  made it through safely.

We met with another builder at the lake.   We all stood outside in rain of varying intensity.   I finally got an umbrella from the car, the builder toughed it out and Dave wasn't a happy camper.   I knew enough not to try to take a picture.    We'll wait another couple weeks for an estimate.

Back at home Dave spent the afternoon scraping and painting upstairs, I sorted through books and photographs in the "junk" room that used to be Jesse's nursery.    We both made some good headway.

I came across my mother and her husband's handwritten journals of their trailer camping years (1979 - 1995).  My dad died when I was 23 and my mom later remarried a quirky but good man.   The only grandpa Jesse ever knew.  They enjoyed 19 years of camping, playing bridge and scrabble, and dancing before he, too, died.  They were blogging before the internet!



7 comments:

  1. Not sure you are getting the rain from the south. The major part of the storm just went through here yesterday with the worst of it today. Looks like it is going way east towards Mass. We've had so much rain here in DC.

    Glad you are making progress:) How neat to read your mother's journals now that you are preparing for fulltime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those journals are a treasure. How cool of your Mom to have done that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those old journals are precious! What an amazing memory to have in your hands.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no better treasures than old journals detailing one's life and experiences. How very special....and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine you, once you saw that journal, that you sat in a corner and flipped through them. Even now I am amazed with those who still write their journeys on paper, old school but precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother died long before I was born but I know her as a young mother through the journals she left behind. I kept diaries and journals every year since I was eleven. Some only had 20 entries for the whole year, others were almost daily. I've often pictured my kids finding them in a box after I'm gone (I've resisted the urge to edit or destroy some of them). How fun to find words as well as pictures of her travels - perhaps some real drives down those memory lanes are in your future :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom kept journals about their 15 years traveling around the country in their MH along with photos. Unfortunately, she wrote in German and her handwriting was challenging to read. A treasure none the less, as I'm sure you treasure those journals as well.

    ReplyDelete