beluga

beluga

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thursday - the Mine

Today we toured the now defunct Queen Copper Mine. In its heyday it was one of the largest, most productive Copper mines in the world.  It was closed in 1975 and reopened a year later as a living history museum.  The tour guides are all retired miners and they bring their experiences and thoughts to the tours they lead.   We rode 1500 feet into the mine shaft  astride a narrow, single seat train, outfitted in yellow slickers, hard hats and heavy battery packs.

mine tour outfits waiting quietly for us


Dave waiting to board the narrow train


entrance to the mine shaft


just another happy miner.....

the only picture inside the mine that turned out.
Dave enjoyed the mine tour more than I did. He thought it was a good industrial glimpse into a real mine.   I felt our tour guide was wooden, just reading a script.  He gave no life to the mine's stories, even though he had worked there for 20 years.  He didn't capture my imagination, didn't make me think about how hard the work was and what the men and animals went through to do their jobs.  All I could think about was how tight the d amn hard hat was, how the heavy battery pack was pulling my pants down, how close the walls were, how jerry rigged the wooden supports looked and how deep we were in the ground. The temperature was a cool 47 degrees and the only light came from the battery operated hand held lights we were issued at the beginning of our tour.  I'm glad I did it, I won't do another mine tour.  To each his own....

We emerged into the brilliant warm sunshine about noon and walked back up the hill to Beluga.  After lunch we had planned on taking a little hike up the mountain, but whittled the afternoon away cutting our hair, and checking out internet sites on hydraulic jack problems and fixes.  Dave thinks one of the lower seals on our left rear leveling jack is leaking.   Probably not a really big deal, but you know how internet searches are, they take more time than intended.    Before we knew it, cocktail time!  

our back "yard" overlooking the Lavender Mine pit



this is really not a picture of Dave, its a stealth picture of our new neighbor....
While we were in the mine, a new neighbor moved in next to us.  It is a Roadtrek 190 with a really interesting storage box on back.  We wanted to see how it was attached so watched covertly until the man came out and started digging through it.  JoAnn, email us and we'll tell you more about what could be an interesting option for you.   The owners are a couple from Quebec and are enjoying their southwestern journey.
Lavender Pit directly behind and below Beluga
our view through the back fence


beautiful reflections in a neighboring motorhome's windshield

We left a little early for our dinner reservations at Cafe Roka so we could drive around a section of Bisbee we missed the other day.  It was a bit more run down than other neighborhoods we'd seen, but very "colorful" nonetheless.


6 nipples?


the peace makers

entrance to the dog park

inside the Bisbee dog park....Hmmmm, I don't think so.
I didn't take the camera to dinner tonight.  We had a nice adult meal with no posing or photographing food.  We were seated right next to Nina and Paul who were sharing a meal with friends from Benson, Az.   Small world.    At any rate, our dinners were stellar....soup, salad, and entree were beautifully prepared, beautiful to look at and full of good flavors. We came home very satisfied but still looking forward to our breakfast with Nina and Paul at the Bisbee Breakfast Club tomorrow morning (burp...).


4 comments:

  1. I thought it was very brave of you to go down that mine shaft....send me an email because I don't understand where you all the miners were on that little tram thing. Is there an elevator inside that takes you down into the depths?

    And now I'm curious about the Roadtek 190 storage unit on the back? Can you cut and paste fromJoann's email for me too?

    Bisbee Dog Park ...well, I guess that's about what I would have expected in this little town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picture. SO Suzi. I know what you mean about not doing something again. I will never go deep sea fishing again.
    And as for a tour guide, you are right. You should have felt the mine and been there. At Montecello I could picture Jefferson and the slaves especially serving dinner unseen from the hidden stairways. But the hats and yellw coats were "cute"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve may have some insights to your hydraulic issues for we had similar problem before. If you like send me an email and the guys can have their jack conversations.
    Bisbee was covered with snow when we were there in Feb and we took the mine tour too.
    -MonaLIza
    http://lowestravels.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I was laughing so hard reading your thoughts on the mine. Oh, Sue, do tell us how you really feel! I love it. Thanks for sharing. A tour guide can really make the trip come alive or really kill it, as you saw.

    Love the reflection in the MH windshield!

    I can't wait til we catch up again!!!

    ReplyDelete