beluga

beluga

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday - Roper Lake State Park

SKP's members drive many different types of RV's.  Doesn't this one look like  it was made by a boat builder?

We enjoyed our brief stay at the Escapees Co-op Park in Benson.  Its a nice, clean, very friendly home base   for Escapee members in sunny, dry southern Arizona. Most sites have expansive views of the Dragoon Mountains to the east and there is lots of room to walk the dogs in the surrounding desert.

 I walked to the clubhouse this morning to load 5 or 6 books onto our kindles, and then we picked up I-10 east on our way to Safford, Az. and Roper Lake State Park.  The scenery went from flat high desert bounded by jagged mountains to absolutely flat, grass lands.  We exited I-10 onto US 191 north and drove for almost 30 miles with nothing on either side of us but empty land.   Occasionally I'd see a man riding horseback through the desert, or once I noticed  a lone, saddled horse tied to a small mesquite tree, but other than that, nothing.....

As we approached Safford we began to see some small, very depressed looking houses and then our turn for Roper Lake State Park.  I have no idea what the town itself will be like, tomorrow we'll check that out.    

our site's sitting area

no one in sight on Beluga's driver's side
As you can see, it was quite hazy today.  No rain in the forecast, but the sky was quite grey, not very good for pictures.    We sat outside for quite awhile, reading and enjoying the warmth, then drove all around the park getting a little lay of the land.  We came across a small, rock lined hot spring pool and a dusty fenced in dog park.

Lewis and Sasha got a chance to run around the lake shore a bit while we explored.  I forgot to take my camera with me, so I took the picture below with my phone!   The cloud formations gave the promise of a  wonderful sunset, but delivered a picture more Wyeth than Gauguin!    





1 comment:

  1. Even though we are a whole large away, our day was just like yours. It was warm, not exactly cloudy but grey light filtering clouds that kept the sun at bay. Today it is brilliant.

    Boy, that is a strange looking vehicle. Must be foreign. I follow a guy from Australia who fulltimes there. Their MH home looks nothing like the ones here.

    Enjoy your new location!

    ReplyDelete