beluga

beluga

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wednesday

Beluga now carries an authentic piece of the cowboy west.   Our neighbor, Nancy, makes wonderful baskets from old ropes used in cattle roping competitions.  They're so unusual, and each one is very different, depending on its age, its original color, and its past life.

Nancy took me with her to a local tack/feed store looking for just the right length, color, wear and "character" to turn into her one of a kind baskets.      FUN!    I love to wander around in these stores, smelling the leather, looking at all the colors and shapes, and this time learning a bit about roping.  We even got to go back into the barn and smell a few noses, Mmmmm.   I miss that.

saddle pads


rows of saddles for sale

coils of brand new ropes in all the current bright colors

older "lived in" ropes
Nancy talks price with the owner, Lisa


the barn aisle, oooh smells so good




When we returned to our motorhomes, Nancy set to work.   First she washed all the ropes and let them dry.  
The next morning she started work on two new baskets for me.  Its really interesting to see how she turns ordinary rope into really neat individual works of art.  

Nancy kindly stops work to pose for me.  
She's making a basket to hold my dashboard plant (waiting behind her on the table)

Her sweet old gal, Rosey, supervises the whole operation

When Dave and I returned home from our drive around the lake, she had finished my custom basket! (AND had come over to let the dogs out while we were gone!)    Now thats a good neighbor....

My photograph doesn't do it justice and for that I'm sorry Nancy.   It is absolutely perfect, made by hand with great care out of a real iconic symbol of the west.     I love it! 









3 comments:

  1. THAT is so cool!!! What a talent to have learned....and it fits your pot perfectly!

    Hey, I have a few noses you could sniff when you get back! And a few barns too!!!

    Cooling down here ...high of 76 today. Wonderful relief!

    Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no...another hobby I might have to try. What a great idea for the pot. I am sure it isn't near as easy as she makes it look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the basket!! Marsha can add those to her pine needle baskets she makes!! I like the color variation...nice work, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete