beluga

beluga

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Busy week

 It seems like we just moved into the house and now I'm finalizing reservataions for our spring/summer trip west and north  Dave has pretty much finished getting Beluga ready for the trip.    He's washed and waxed her, changed all necessary oil and filters, and installed all new batteries.  

Last Tuesday we picked up the Lowes and took a little road trip to the Robson Mining World near Aguila.


I thought it was an actual abandoned mining town but, while enjoyable, turned out to be more of a re creation.    A few of the buildings were original, some had burned down and the rest were recreations of buildings of that era that served to hold the original owner's collection of "stuff", old stuff, in a loosely organized manner.


It was a long way off the paved road, set amidst the mountains.




The current caretaker took our money and led us on a general tour of the place.   It was a lovely warm day and we enjoyed poking around and checking out the vast rock/boulder collections.   Nothing was labeled, the caretaker knew what some things were, and we guessed at the use of some other things......

antique metal dairy calf weaner (complete with two pronged spikes) - ouch....

the Opera House.....

Afterward, we drove into "downtown" Aguila for lunch - at a food truck - in a defunct gas station parking lot.     It was beyond good.



We had delicious al pastor gorditas and a really really good pineapple/mango drink.    After lunch we walked across the street to the tiny vegetable farmer's market/swap meet and bought oranges and some good Mexican cinnamon cookies whose name I can't remember.   Gotta have desert, right?    No pictures of them, they disappeared too fast.

We joined Steve and MonaLiza for dinner at Nichols West later that evening.   Their good friends were flying in from the Bay area (California) and Steve wanted us to meet them.    We had a great dinner (blue cheese crusted Filet Mignon for me and Bouillabaise for Dave) with really nice company.  We all hit it off, as Steve knew we would and before dinner was over Rod invited Dave and Steve to go flying with him the next morning!     Dave's grin started that night and stayed plastered to his face for days afterward!  

Bright and early Wednesday morning Dave met the boys at Wickenburg airport and got to ride right seat beside Rod in his fabulous Cessna 400.   Steve kindly sat in the back seat and took aerial photos of his house as they flew over.    It has been some years since Dave had the opportunity to fly a plane, and he was beyond thrilled when Rod turned to him and said "your plane"......

a real beauty


three happy amigos!

I "watched" the flight on the Flightradar app on my phone!   Fun!


Dave got home in time to help me get lunch ready for our visitors.   His cousin, Kathi, and her husband Jeff came for lunch and to see the house.   They live in Fountain Hills, about 75 miles from here.   Dave and Kathi practically grew up together at Silver Lake when they were young, but haven't seen much of each other in adulthood.    We talked and ate and enjoyed the company until early afternoon.   No pictures!   I'm just not good at photographing people I guess.  

Thursday morning we drove into Sun City to see the Optometrist for my recheck appointment.      I forgot to tell you that I developed shingles a couple of  weeks ago!    The small outbreak was on my face, near the corner of my eye so that is why an Optometrist was involved.    Yes, I had both Shringrix shots in 2019 and I suppose that is why I had a light case with no pain.   I caught it fast, I'm familiar with the look of cold sores and when I saw something like that developing on my face I got to the Wickenburg clinic right away.      The lesions did not spread and they have dried up and seem to be gone, so keep your finger's crossed!    

It's been a busy but fun week....

 

20 comments:

  1. What a fun kind of busy!! We've done all the things you did in Aguila--that food truck has been there a long, long time! Shingles--yikes! Glad your outbreak was mild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad good things stick around! Oh, and also glad bad things go away (as in shingles!)

      Delete
  2. Dave didn't take any pictures from his flyby?
    Food trucks are are also common here, and often pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was too busy flying the plane!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Janna…a fun kind of busy with a good doctor report to top it off! Thank goodness for that! Exploring small towns is so fun and even more so with friends. I googled gorditas…sounds yummy! We don’t get out enough! Love Dave’s huge smile…what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. W.e'd never had a gordita before....it was really good! It's ways great to see that big smile

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need a vacation after your week. The old mine reminds me of the mine we toured here in Nelson. Cool find! Love the plane flight for the boys. What fun! So glad your shingles episode was short lived and didn't spread into your eye. The vaccine did its job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MonaLiza found the town and the food truck, she get's all the credit!

      Delete
  6. Wow! That little Cessna is a really nice airplane! Especially with that turbocharged 550 in it. Really impressive cruise speeds and range. Bet you loved that Garmin glass cockpit, way different than the panels we were used to back in the day. Aren't food trucks great? Best Torta we ever had was from a tiny food truck in Bishop CA on 395 in the Owens valley. Line was around the block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really slick plane. You're right, the instrument panel sure has changed since Dave flew, he almost flipped when Rod gave him the plane! He's a yoke guy and quickly found out how sensitive the side stick was.....what fun!

      Delete
  7. I wish we'd found a good gordita truck rather than the last place we ate out. Those Flyboyz look positively delirious with joy, which is always a welcome thing! Although this post was full of happy-busy-ness, it lacked Lewis, who I'm sure kept you good company while you tracked that flight on the app and probably deserves a gordita of his own :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew I'd get in trouble without a picture of sweet Lew. Mea culpa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love seeing you two with MonaLiza and Steve. :-) And how fun that Dave got opportunity to fly—love his big grin! We're also finalizing our summer/fall travel plans. Most of our reservations are made, but we have a big long list of stuff to do before we head out in June. When do you guys leave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We leave early this year, April 20. Our list of things to do has been put on hold until we return in October....why rush!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you're nearly ready for jacks-up too! How fun to get in lots of great visits before you head out. What a treat for Dave to get a flight over your desert! Gotta love gas station parking lot food -and al pastor is always a favorite for me. So glad your shingles were mild and quick and sure hope you're done with that!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope I'm done with it too! Yes, while we love living here and it's wonderful to have such fun visits with friends, we're looking forward to "jacks up" in April. I enjoy al pastor wherever I find it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and I meant to say that I'm so glad you caught your shingles attack early and that it was a mild case. Hugs to you three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel. I think catching it early and having had the vaccine helped to make it mild episode. I've seen full blown attacks and they are horrendus...shudder
      Hugs to you three too!

      Delete
  13. Neither Barb or I have ever had Shingles but from what I hear it is miserable! The airplane adventure looked fun and how cool that you were able to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shingles outbreak was very mild, thanks to having had the vaccines in 2019, it could have been so much worse. Yes, it was fun to be able to follow along with their flight, especially when I caught actual sight of them in the distance!

      Delete