beluga

beluga

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Home in Arizona

 We've all been busy getting used to living in a larger house with no stairs or wheels and more than one bedroom and bathroom, and a toilet that flushes by hand, not foot.       Remembering where the paper towels are, remembering to put things in the recycle bin and not the garbage (yay!), remembering what temperature is comfortable to keep the house in the day....at night.      Where are the coffee filters?    Where are the scissors?     I didn't know we had those bushes?    Wow, look at those beautiful flowers!


Lewis is not immune to these "settling in" issues.    Where should I "get busy", where is my leash, can I just go out this door without Mom and Dave?   Why are these stones so sharp, where's the grass?   Where do I sleep in the day, at night?   Where is Dave, where is Mom?    Where is my favorite ball?     Do I have enough food - where is it?    Which rug is best to wipe my face on after I eat?   Will someone notice if I bring my ball to play  and they aren't in the same room?  Where do we have second cup and do I still have to find my treats under balls in that old cupcake tin?




is this a new rug?   do I like it?

Dave, Dave, what are you doing?   Dave where are you going?

will we have second cup here or at the table?

this rug will do

yep, living room rug works best

So.....I think we've all figured things out and now we're enjoying our static home in the desert.   Beluga is snoozing in her building next door until she's needed to go exploring!

  Monsoon season had just ended when we arrived home, but mother nature still had a few storms up her sleeve - just so we'd see what we missed.     Last Saturday morning, while Dave was at the Lowe's house helping Steve with some electrical work, I was awakened by something clicking against the house outside the window.   I got up because I knew what it was.     I needed to make sure the stained glass plant (that has been with us for many years) was safe from what sounded like the beginnings of a big blow.



consultation

I was right, the wind began to howl, rapid thunder and lightning and rain blowing sideways met me when I stepped outside.    I had to run around like a maniac - in my nightgown - chasing all the chair cushions as they headed for the desert.     I was soaked to the skin by the time I got back in but only one cushion escaped!      In the desert the storms blow up fast, and draw away just as fast, leaving an innocent blue sky behind......like nothing ever happened!



Enjoying those interesting skies, welcoming our old second cup and happy hour friends, a few quick trips into the Valley for things not available here in little Wickenburg, organizing the house and Beluga,  relaxing,  various Dr. appointments, and a little socializing and getting reacquainted with a slower pace of life.    That's what we've been up to.










ruh roh....






Our resident owl, we call it Hootie Sapperticker, watches over us while we enjoy a shady second cup unter his tree.     Sometimes he ejects a pellet or two as payment for his safe and quiet daytime sleeping perch  ( before he leaves for the night....it would be rude to cough up one while we were watching).     I can't wait to dissect them to see what he's been eating!











mr.

mrs.


During happy hour yesterday, this young lady marched past us on her way somewhere evidently very important,  judging by her pace and total disinterest in us.     She was about 4 inches long (about average for a Tarantula)  and moved along at a smart pace.     Dave "suggested" she make a detour back into the desert and she complied.    How cool she was and we're glad she stopped by but hope she finds a different route next time.

We met a new friend at MonaLiza and Steve's house shortly after we arrived home.    Even Lewis got a chance to introduce himself to LT!



Lucky for LT, Lewis doesn't really care for lettuce.    Now, if he was munching on aspragus, Lew would have asked to share!

Wednesday is often Sonoran Hot Dog Day at El Ranchero Restaurant in Wickenburg.   I say "often" because they usually only have them on Wednesdays after "roping season" which, here, is the fifth season of the year.    Many things revolve around this season in Wickenburg we've discovered.     At any rate, last week I noticed the Sonoran Hot Dog cart in front of the restaurant and stopped by to inquire whether they would now be making them year round (be still my heart).    Evidently not, just last week and this until after "roping"  he says.     So, we planned to ask Steve and MonaLiza to join us for this treat.     After clearing a ridiculously long list of already planned things so we could all be free to indulge, the food cart was NOT THERE!     After a quick pivit, we managed to enjoy the Bank household, last minute, somewhat abbreviated version, using some recently purchased Buffalo, NY Sahlen's hot dogs.    Later,  there may or may not have been a comparison wine tasting from our recent visit to the Rocks District in Walla Walla, Washington.



   


  





 

19 comments:

  1. It’s Gay…I love coming home. Doesn’t matter if it’s from a three week vacation in San Diego like last January or a trip to the grocery store. I also love Arizona skies…beautiful photos Sue! I think the tarantulas are awesome and helpful…they eat small spiders and grasshoppers which I. Not particularly fond of. It always makes me happy to see the birds in your yard. And it makes me happy to see friends gathered around the table with you…sorry you didn’t have your Sonoran Dog though. That is so cool about MonaLiza and Steve’s tortoise and sweet Lewis checking him out! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gay, I'm happy to be home, but I find it sort of stressful for the first few days. Maybe it's my need (compulsion?) to have everything in it's place but once we're home for a week or so I enjoy it! Friends visiting make us happy and help with the "settled in" feeling for sure.

      Delete
  2. How delightful to be at home...you described perfectly how it feels to settle in after an extended trip! It takes me a long time to stop trying to flush the toilet with my foot, LOL. You have a lot to love there, as you know...good friends, beautiful sunsets, an abundance of rainbows, and even those wild, exciting storms! Lewis does a mighty fine "down dog" pose. He would be a good yoga teacher. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Lewis invented "down dog" pose.......

      Delete
  3. Oops...that was me, Laurel. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, the picture in my mind of you in your nightgown chasing after chair cushions gave me a Sunday morning chuckle. I bet Steve and MonaLiza are glad you guys are home. Yes, Lewis does a great "down dog!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janna. After I came in, took off the soaked nightgown and dried my hair I had a good laugh too! I'm glad no one could see me. I gave Lewis your compliment, he blushed.....

      Delete
  5. Welcome Home !!! Such great photos of the storm as it passed thru and fun description of your efforts to chase down all the patio cushions.
    I'm sure you are now all settled in and know where every is ... again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. We do love the skies here in Arizona - blue or stormy! I think I've a handle on everything, finally. Now to start the planning process for next year!

      Delete
  6. Oh yes that's exactly how coming home is! I had to laugh at Lew's acclimation pics - Tessa tried out a few face rubbing rugs when we got back too :-)) Beautiful skies. I've really been loving their variety here, but you captured some really great ones!! Love your deer on the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I must say you out did yourself with this blog post. There are never too many Lew photos. I love them. Good to see Lew has figured out the new normal for awhile. Glad you are settled and falling back into the other routine. We saw your clouds and rain pass by to the east. They rarely make a stop here. Lovely rainbow photos:) I, too, could picture you out there chasing the items as the wind kicked up. You need a backyard camera! Nice to see you are catching up with Steve and ML and got to met LT, a special treat. Sorry about the hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! beautiful captures of the fascinating and ever changing skies. You are right the storm just had to make a short comeback so you can experience the monsoon. Oh Lew is such a ham :). Steve was so happy his electrician mentor came over and showed him how not to be electricuted. - ML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One monsoon ish storm was quite enough for me! Mr. David's A-1 Residential Electrical Services LLC was glad to send their best man over to help Steve. He's always available and has many skills.

      Delete
  9. The two years that we had the house in Tucson, there was no monsoon, so JIm never got to see one. So that was bad for him. I do miss the Arizona skies. Lewis looks very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything I love in one post -- you guys, Lew, critters, and the beautifulness that is the SW! Even though settling back in has its speed bumps, having been to your wonderful place there, I know how nice a place it is to re-settle. Like the others, I had a good laugh at the visual you painted of your nightgown-clad cushion-chasing :D Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Joodie, it's nice to be home...now. You would have really had a good laugh if you were watching me, although I would have insisted that you help if you were here..... I noticed that you didn't mention loving disecting owl pellets though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lewis seems very happy to be "home" or wherever you guys are. Those turbulent sky photos are amazing, as are the pictures of the quail and other wildlife. Except the spider, could have done without the picture of the spider.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been such a bad blog reader I didn't even know you landed in AZ permanent like. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete