beluga

beluga

Sunday, December 25, 2022

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!

My birthday is right before Christmas, almost always has been.....but that's another story.    My mother almost named me Holly.     I'm an only child so you know my birthday was always celebrated muchly, don't cry for me, but it IS right before Christmas.    Presents wrapped in Christmas paper, everyone singing carols instead of happy birthday.    No balloons, just christmas decorations....waaa   waaa  waaa 

I won't share my number this year, but Dave made sure I had a wonderful day.     We drove up into the mountains to Prescott for lunch.    It was a beautifully sunny and relatively warm day with enough snow around to be festive but not enough to cause trouble. 


 I always enjoy the drive up through the switch backs and into the pine trees.       Lunch was delicious and pretty at Farm Provisions.     



interesting black and white farm paintings, including a very disconcerting cow photo in the restroom
which will not post, no matter how hard I try...hmmmmm





No, MonaLiza, I did not eat the orchid.     After lunch we did a few errands and ended our stay at Lynx Lake.     We had the place to ourselves as we walked along the shoreline looking for birds and ducks.  No Mandarin Duck this time, but flocks of energetic Merganzers zooming around the middle of the lake.  We could hear their muttering from the trail!




When we arrived home I found a birthday delivery from Jesse and Erin....the most lovely arrangement of pink and blush roses that brought lots of friends to fill the house with their fragrance.


Note the flowers are not Christmas colors....they're birthday colors....girl birthday colors.   

The next day we took a spur of the moment drive into the desert, down Constellation Road here in Wickenburg.     The road is paved from town before turning graded (ocassionally) dirt for miles and miles into the desert and mountains.     Across washes, up hills, over cattle guards, up a mountainside on a very narrow, twisty dirt road 10 miles to our destination.   The Goldmine Experience, World of Music Theme Park....... Let that sink in.

 I joined a FB group called Wickenburg Bulletin Board....it's very gossipy but occasionally something interesting comes up.    The reason for our drive down Constellation Road was because of a post on that bulletin.    One that had 50 or more comments.    If you're interested, google it, you'll think that another western style Disneyland is coming to the desert.      So do a load of people here.    They haven't taken the time to drive out to see just what is there though.     We couldn't believe our eyes.    We checked the mileage to be sure we were in the right spot.     Yep, The Goldmine Experience all right.     I can't imagine who will take the 10 mile rough road and up/down the mountain to get there.    I don't know what is actually down at the bottom, we saw a small, very small cluster of buildings (?) and tarps, a number of old mining entrances and tailings piles, and a spiderweb of narrow dirt tracks.   The sort of place we've learned to avoid in the desert.   Private Property says the signs along the "road".      It is set to open Jan 4 (for a free tour) says their website.     I will wait with baited breath.

On our way back, however, we found a real treat....a Saguaro with a large crested arm!    We usually set about to find these beauties and here one was, just standing there along Blue Tank Road (another dirt road) just waiting for us to notice.



Other than that, nothing exciting is going on.    We're spending a quiet Christmas cooking and reading and doing a Christmas Nutcracker puzzle.    I'm working on "eyes" today.


Lewis is a little under the weather.   Perhaps he ate too many mashed potatoes?


Merry Christmas to you all, and we wish you a Happy Healthy New Year.







Hmmmm....here's the bathroom cow.   How'd he get here?

19 comments:

  1. Not only is the cow a bit disconcerting, but she also shows up when she wants? Hmmmm indeed! Your birthday meal looks amazing. Love the lake pic and the crested looks like a fan dancer :-) The flowers are truly perfect. Your theme park sounds like wishful thinking at best. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. Oh Lew, you know how to steal the show :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and....the cow was directly over the toilet! We'll be interested in seeing what actually happens in the World of Music venue.....how they'll get water, sewer, power, building materials and supplies, parking, road work, employees and paying customers up there! pie in the sky I think...

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! My birthday is just after Christmas so I experienced pretty much the same thing growing up. Cannot wait to hear about your theme park adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday! Poor planning on our parents part eh?

      Delete
  3. Belated Happy Birthday wishes! Looks like wonderful dinner in the Prescott snow.
    Lots of weird attractions in the desert and the World of Music, just might do very well with a beer bar and good burgers.
    Hope Lew saved you some mashed potatoes. Merry Christmas !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine something like the Nellie E. Saloon (aka The Desert Bar) even being presented at this spot but....we'll be watching!

      Delete
  4. It’s Gay…happy, happy birthday Sue! Your roses are beautiful. What a very interesting crested saguaro arm. And let Lewis know I feel his pain…I’ve had way to much to eat too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas and a belated Happy Birthday! Maybe they are trying to create another Desert Bar like the one near Parker??? How lovely to see Prescott with a bit of snow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those birthday flowers are gorgeous!!! And your birthday meal--amazing--Dave is a good husband for making sure your almost Christmas birthday was celebrated in grand style! Yep, you can find weird things in the desert--keep us posted on the "theme park!" :) Great find with the crested! And tell Lewis I feel his pain--I ate too many mashed potatoes too! My Dad's birthday was Christmas Eve--his mom always made sure we celebrated Dad's birthday on Christmas Eve--forget about that famous guy who was born on Christmas Eve! And you are right--his presents were most likely always wrapped in Christmas paper. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you and Mike as well! Maybe you'll be able to check out the World of Music for yourselves soon, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do find the most interesting places to go look at. The Gold Mine place does not look like a good investment. Your kids did really good on the flowers! They're lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday, Sue!!! My birthday is the second week in December, and it was a bit too close to Christmas...but my gifts were not wrapped in Christmas paper, LOL. Dave always creates such a special day for you. That meal looked fabulous! You always make me smile with your descriptions...the muttering Mergansers...:-)) Wishing you a healthy, happy New Year filled with many more grand adventures! We're so excited that we'll be seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dave always makes my birthday special, especially since the year he decided to move it to February 22 (to avoid the Christmas paper and red/green theme) and them promptly forgot it altogether!

      Delete
  10. I'm terribly behind in blog reading. I don't use my computer very often and that's where I do blogs. The phone just seems to be easier. Sure was a great birthday celebration day. Lots of your favorite things. That is a perfect crested arm, so healthy. Glad you birthday flowers had nothing to do with the holiday. Cutest photo of sweet Lew. Great photo of Dave!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Pam and John!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated everything! I have to do the same thing when I order flowers for my mom's birthday -- specify NO holiday colors. Your celebration looks like it was pretty perfect, complete with a crested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Belated Everything to you and TBG too! Got that kitty yet?

      Delete
  13. You made me laugh. I hope you've seen some of the rains in AZ. My bit of family (not me) was in Phoenix for Christmas at my Mom's. While I was suffering -35 they were whining about 40+ as a low. Oh my! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laughing is good! Yes, we've seen plenty of rain lately....I complain, but understand that I'm wrong to do so. -35! I'd be whining about that too!

    ReplyDelete