beluga

beluga

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thursday - we made the most of our last day here

Not late this morning!  Not early either, just right and when Dave opened the bedroom shade we were blinded by the sun.....Yes!

Second cup inside then loaded the dogs into the jeep and headed off to Kellogg beach.  We were anxious to take a real walk on the beach, Lewis needed to blow of a little steam and Sasha needed new things to sniff.
Mission accomplished.

Sasha sniffs....Lewis runs


Lewis runs....Sasha sniffs

crab carnage

bottle cap "lizard"
After lunch, we left the dogs happily sleeping in Beluga and went looking for the "big boys".  We entered the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park from the south on Howland Hill Road.  It started out as a normal, paved road but quickly turned to a dirt track, wet and gummy in spots.  Wide enough for two cars to pass, but just.  It wove uphill around huge old redwoods with periodic narrow pull outs.   We didn't see many cars but everyone we did encounter were very careful and polite about pulling over and letting each other pass or take pictures or just wander around with open mouth.

Dave on the left - stranger in the middle

We parked at the entrance to the Stout Grove and took the 1 mile hike in to see the old growth grove.




downed trees support new life



no Dave, they don't smell pretty


I always lag behind Dave when we walk.   I think its because I stop to take pictures so often.  He says I walk erratically and dart off the path, so he tries to stay ahead of me to avoid collisions.   Humpf.

Today I emerged from the underbrush to find him gone.   There was only one direction to walk, so I just kept on going, assuming I'd catch up to him around the bend.    He was hiding on me, the devil....


I have more pictures of flowers. and trees, but I'm getting tired from all the hiking around today and sleepy from a big meal of lasagna,  so I'll show them to you tomorrow.  

Once again, I'll be sorry to leave here tomorrow.   No more time to decide to stay "just one more day", we've a schedule to keep now.  I love this campground, it feels so much like the Redwoods State Park, its like staying in a campground there, except with full hook-ups!  What could be better?





The thief strikes again.....beautiful Rhododendrons this time.

3 comments:

  1. It doesn't matter how many times I see the Redwoods I am still amazed with their size. I love the stump Dave is standing next to...he looks so small. Tell Dave it is the Ponderosa that smells like butterscotch!!!

    Wonderful pictures!! Travel safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew ....some great and funny photos today! Loved Dave hiding and the one where he's moving that mammoth tree!!!!

    But, loved the pilfering posy guy most, coming up the steps! Be careful....you never know what they'll do to you if they catch you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Suzi,
    My name is Sheila and I have been reading your blog for a while; however, I have never posted.

    I met Nina, Paul, Polly and the two kitties a few years back while camping near Austin at McKinney Falls State Park and have followed Wheeling It ever since. I do know that Lewis and Polly are best buddies!

    Just wanted to say hi and let you know I enjoy reading your blog. My husband and I visited Crescent City and loved hiking among the beautiful Redwoods. I don’t remember the year, but it was several years ago (before retirement). I need to look that up.

    We are now retired, travel six months out of the year and spend the other six months at home in Colorado.

    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete