beluga

beluga

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Yesterday

 Yesterday we decided to stop at the nearby Visitor Center first, before setting off on our own.   If you know me, you'll know that I rarely do that.    I'd rather bumble about, see what we can see, and then stop to find out what it was.     For the second time in a row, I wished we'd just done that.     This time the young man on duty was admittedly a "fill in" for the regular ranger.     I asked a few questions and he shrugged his shoulders, charmingly, and said he didn't really know.    "Here, let me google it for you" was his answer.     This Visitor's Center is a very nice one with lots of displays and interpretive information.   Just not what I was looking for.

Luckily we've been here a few times before and had a pretty decent idea of what we wanted to do and see.   I hoped we'd get good directions and/or some new and interesting nuggets to explore but.....

    I'd packed a lunch so we set off into the Alabama Hills and up to Mt. Whitney's trailhead at about 8,000 ft.   It's always a beautiful ride and a good way to start off our time here in Lone Pine.


We decided to eat in the hills before heading up the Mountain in case there were no places to stop along the way or in case there was snow.  We were told that the road was "soft closed" at some point but we could go past the barricade if we were careful.    Alrighty then.

We drove around a bit looking for a good spot to stop for a while.




One tiny cactus was trying so hard to show us it's one huge pink blossom....look at me, look at me!  So I had to take it's picture....



 We always find ourselves looking for water and finally came across a very pretty, wild rose lined path down to the creek.   Lunch tasted pretty good there and the smells from the tiny pink flowers was divine.





Further along the stream was lined with huge old Cottonwood trees and rioted over rocky ledges.



After lunch was finished we drove up Whitney Portal road looking for the "soft closure" barricade, but found none. The road was closed just before the trailhead, which takes avid hikers up to the summit at over 14,000 feet, so we parked the Jeep and went the rest of the way on foot.   It was very cool, probably 60, but it felt and smelled wonderful.   Huge, butterscotchy scented Ponderosa pines and fresh mountain air were wonderfully invigorating.

don't you love this scary face in the bark?

The campgrounds were all still closed for the season and we pretty much had the entire area to ourselves.       We took our hiking poles and climbed around amongst the huge boulders looking for the water falls we knew to be there.

We came upon the rubble of a large and  probably recent landslide.   The creek was choked with fractured and splintered evergreen tree trunks and boulders.    Some of the trees look like they had virtually exploded on their way down, bark skinned off others, leaving shiny bare trunks.  


 One enormous boulder, probably 20 feet high, had obviously come barreling down the mountain side, over the creek and came to rest on end, against what was probably a very frightened  tree several hundred feet from the stream.   Luckily the campground was closed because it landed in site #8.   I wanted Dave to stand beside it, you know, for scale - but he wouldn't do it!


After marveling at the tree's strength and wondering how long it would be able to hold up that boulder, we continued along the to find the waterfall, icy at the top but free flowing at it's base.



Today we had a wonderful afternoon driving around the dry Owen's lakebed looking for birds!   But, the internet is getting very v e r y  s l o w right now so I'll tell you about that next time.


    





12 comments:

  1. We are looking forward to cooler weather, less wind and some green! Enjoy your explorations! And what is it with visitor center people--we never seem to have much luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah dang - I've usually had good luck at the Eastern Sierra VC in Lone Pine. At least it is a nice break and a place to visit. Surprised you saw so many wildflowers and cactus blooms at the higher elevations, shouldn't they still be waiting for their spring to arrive?
    I sure don't fault Dave for not wanting to pose under that boulder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had good luck there before, so I guess it was just the "fill in" guy this time! I was sort of surprised to see as many little blooms at this time also...ah well, I was happy to have them.

      Delete
  3. Sorry that on one of your very few stops at a VC wasn't successful. We do occasionally run into volunteers that don't have answers to what we enjoy but I'm sure getting help is tough. We had that at Beatty. The woman was so nice and tried to be helpful but didn't know much about the off road mines (which is one of the highlights of Beatty). You did a fine job on your own. I remember reading about the landslide at Mt. Whitney. I believe it closed the trail for awhile and hikers had to be rescued. That waterfall never disappoints. Sure sounds like a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled the landslide and now I know that is exactly what we saw! What a mess it must have been when people were there. I never think about earthquakes when I'm wandering around, but when you really look around, you can see evidence that this is a very volatile area. Today we're going down to the Lava Flow area. Mother Nature is powerful and....beautiful.

      Delete
  4. There is a really good, small, museum in Independence, just up the road from Lone Pine. The photos of the original mountain climbers were really good. Hopefully it's all still there. They also have an exhibit about how the Owens Valley water rights were stolen by Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been to that museum yet, so much to do, so little time!

      Delete
  5. It’s Gay…I just love you bumbling about! What a nice time. Love the cottonwood trees along the water. I have always though them t have such personality with their twists and curves. The first photo is gorgeous and I love Rocky’s view of he trail with the tiny pink flower. That boulder is scary…Dave is smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read about the earthquake caused landslide that brought that boulder down and caused such a mess up there. I'm glad we weren't camping there then!

      Delete
  6. That landslide is incredible - in a violent and OMG kind of way! The pic of the boulder vs tree is unbelievable. If you don't have the fish hatchery in Independence on your list try to add it - a wonderful story of local people keeping a dream alive, and a pretty location. Glad you gave the little cactus with the big flower some ink :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very impressed by Mother Nature's show of power! I have the hatchery on my list, thanks for reminding me. I couldn't have just walked by the little cactus without acknowledging it's efforts, now could I?

      Delete