beluga

beluga

Sunday, February 4, 2024

Winter

 Arizona weather this winter has been, well, wintery.   Not snowy wintery, that we couldn't deal with.    Cold, wet wintery weather.    We've had to bring in plants, cover palms, use the fireplace for happy hour instead of sitting outside, just generally grumbling to each other.    Ah well.    

 One of the nice side effects of this desert's wintery weather is the beautiful clouds and sunsets it provides.



even night time clouds are beautiful!

taken at the Lowes house


I suppose another good thing about the colder than average weather is how it makes appreciate the warm sun, when the wind isn't blowing or the clouds aren't covering it.   We take every advantage.

reading in the sun, out of the wind


Sometimes one must just buck up, dress warmly and enjoy what the area is offering, when it's offering!    The annual Wickenburg Fly-in and Car Show was held near the end of January.    We certainly couldn't miss that, even though it was gray and chilly.

see me?



looks just like my first car (see above), right?



I love this Henry J!


Dave has been busy in his never-ending quest to keep Beluga in good shape (for her age, ahem).    She takes care of us; he takes care of her.    I think the current project is fabricating a new cover on the outdoor water compartment, and maybe something else, but don't quote me on that....



thanks for the lettering, Jerry!


Hooty and her beau have been regular sitters in our Mesquite tree and last week they left a big surprise for me.    They must know that I enjoy dissecting pellets, so one of them produced a really HUGE (almost 5 inches long) one, you know, to cheer me up and give me something to do......



And now, from a really ugly and, some might say, disgusting photo, I'll end this post with a really adorable one.....Annabelle and her healthy eating habits!


 

Stay tuned, February is getting busy.....







20 comments:

  1. Indeed your Arizona winter skies are stunning! Glad you're finding some corners of warm sunshine. Before we know it we'll all be chasing shade :-) Love the shiny reflections shots at the car show. I lovely, different, perspective. That IS quite the pellet you were gifted. Keep up those great habits baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always searching for the perfect temps.! Can't wait for the pellet to dry out so I can get at it!

      Delete
  2. Well, this blogpost produced a lot of laughter (though that might have been from the nice martini that Walter just made me!) But, no, your first car does not look like that pretty blue one! And, no, that huge bird pellett [upchuck] has totally transformed my life (with Walter) as we discuss what it might be and just how digested it might be. Now, ANNABELLE, well, that's a totally different story! Darling of the blogpost-- you can't get much cuter. Such a photogenic little girl (and a good veggie girl!) Love to you all! CindyP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could contribute to the "happy" in your happy hour tonight! Perhaps I'll post a picture of the bones I find when I dissect it, would you like that? Annabelle, she's a cutie alright....

      Delete
  3. Dave is forever the engineer!
    The care folks take of their classic cars is amazing, so much devotion. As Cindy ... Annabelle is just such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does like a problem to figure out.

      Delete
  4. I learned, awhile ago, that you can buy owl pellets on Amazon so teachers and their students can see what the owls had been eating. Annabelle continues on her path to world's cutest child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, Hooty continues to show me what she eats, I don't have to spend a dime! Thanks, our little girlie certainly is a doll!

      Delete
  5. That Annabelle is just adorable and always looked so serious! i can't wait to see what you had been feeding to Hootie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll find evidence of all the creatures that could have been digging holes in our yard if it weren't' for Hootie!

      Delete
  6. Yes, we too are ready for some warm, sunny weather but our forecast in the near future doesn't seem to be cooperating! The shiny paint job on those cars--amazing! I bet those owners weren't too thrilled about having the cars out in the rainy weather. Our guys--always something! Sweet Annabelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those cloudy day photos, the shiny cars, that cute pot on your patio, and sweet little Annabelle with her lettuce leaf. Hoping February is warm and sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "lady" pot has been with us for many years. At one time she had a mate, a cute bald guy. Sadly, he broke into a hundred pieces when a big, silly dog made a wildly short turn off the dock and tipped him into the lake!

      Delete
  8. Well, that's a cool way to encourage healthy eating habits! (I'm talking about the lettuce leaf, not that nasty looking gigantic owl pellet. Yuk!! But interesting.) Annabelle is so cute, and so expressive! I hope when she starts talking you'll tell us what she has to say.

    Love the photo of you with your first car. Stay cozy and keep enjoying those gorgeous clouds and sunsets and patches of warm sun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she'll have lots of "interesting" things to say pretty soon!

      Delete
  9. I have not been happy with January's weather either. But it is what it is and we enjoyed the sunny days. I love the photo of you in the propeller. Clever! Great photo of you with your first car!! Sweet Annabelle enjoying some healthy lettuce...haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahem....plastic lettuce! It was wonderful to spend some time with you and John this week!

      Delete
  10. Winter can be challenging for sure, but it looks like you've found the best ways to mitigate it. Love the glamour shot of you with your first car! I was hoping for some shots or at least narrative of what all was in Hootie's pellet. I don't know how much little Annabelle likes that lettuce -- I see her surreptitiously giving it the finger :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glamour comes naturally when one is 17! I just got around to deconstructing the owl pellet and found the usual bones, jaw with teeth intact, partial skull, lots of leg (ish) bones, and even a few little vertebrae. The little neighbor boy came over as I was working on it and he had a ball squatting next to me and pointing out things as he recognized them.
      I do think Annabelle was registering her feelings about being given a plastic kale leaf to chew...I should have known you'd notice......

      Delete