beluga

beluga

Monday, June 11, 2012

Santa Rosa, New Mexico

We climbed out of the canyon this morning and resumed our drive west.  I have to say we've both really gained a new appreciation for the simple lines and beauty of the high plains.  Palo Duro was a feast for the eyes, but this flat, serene, linear landscape is not easily described, it is restful and orderly.  I can see how people born and bred here would find it hard living somewhere else, without this space, this breathing room.  I'm not doing it justice, I feel tongue tied, but this area has really grown on me.  That is one of the things I'm enjoying about spending a little more time in one place.  I'm seeing things through new eyes.

As we drive along on I-40 west of Amarillo, the landscape is beginning to change.  Buttes and Mesas are starting to appear out of the flat, mesquite and sage covered plains.




We're settled in Santa Rosa, New Mexico for the night.  A nice, small campground with a great BBQ restaurant attached.   They deliver right to our site!  Mmmmmm.

Santa Rosa is "famous" for the Blue Hole.  It is a rare sinkhole fed by an underground spring.  It is about 80 feet deep and bell shaped, 80 ft. wide at the surface, l30 feet wide at the bottom.  We are very familiar with the springs in Florida, but were surprised to find one here....the difference between the two seems to be temperature.  The Blue Hole is a constant 60 degrees....chilly...




Tomorrow we will head towards Los Lunas, south of Albuquerque, N.M.   We'll have a chance to stay with and visit friends made on our trip to Mexico 10 years ago.  I can't wait!

See the next post for our last days in Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment