beluga

beluga

Saturday, August 21, 2021

More

 This summer has flown by. We only have a little more time left here in Spokane and we're already looking forward to our return visit next summer.     The oppressive heat has left us, but the smoke still comes and goes.   Even when the sky is beautiful and blue we  have reminders of the terrible wildfires destroying forests and homes, leaving animals adrift. 

A Chinook helicopter and heli bucket filled with water

One afternoon we went to Riverside State Park, just a short ride from our campground.   Our purpose was to take the short hike to see it's famous Bowl and Pitcher formation.



I eked my way out onto a narrow stone observation point to look down at the huge rocks in and beside the river.   





Please don't ask me why it's called "Bowl and Pitcher".    I've read the reasons and descriptions,  I understand the words, but I just don't see it.     Pretty impressive though....huge, rough boulders scattered in and around the clear water, ringed by large pines.    


 

Looking in the other direction we saw a long suspension bridge over the river, leading to more hikes and views on the other side.


If you know me, you'll know that "suspended over the river" are words that normally make me go in the other direction.   Or "you go and I'll watch".

We decided to take the short, rocky hike down to "look" at the bridge, Dave assured me that I wouldn't have to cross it, that he wouldn't cross it either, we would just look at it.




It was new and looked quite sturdy, even though the planks that made up it's decking weren't quite touching each other, probably giving one "views" of the rapids below.....


I walked out a few feet to take a couple pictures and it was OK.    I was able to keep my eyes away from the decking, the river under my feet.    It didn't wiggle and there was no one else around.   I'm always sure that someone will bump me over the side.


The views were beautiful and I soon found myself following Dave all the way across.   OK, he did hold my hand and talk to me all the while.    Good girl!

Next time I'll march right over it and see what is on the other shore!     On the way back to the Jeep, we found a much less rocky and strenuous path, phew.


Erin is away for a few days, visiting an old friend, so it was just the three of us left to do a little sightseeing.   

We ate a delicious breakfast/lunch (I guess that would be brunch, but if there is no mimosa involvement I hesitate to call it a proper brunch) at the little "all things airplane" themed cafe on the grounds of  the Historic Flight Museum on Felt's Field (Spokane's first airport).   Afterward we did the small Museum.

entering the museum, fully masked......

We didn't know what to expect, we've all been to many aircraft museums over the years and this one looked quite small.   We were immediately blown away!    The facility is spotless and well thought out.   Docents were readily available, but not hovering, and knew their stuff.   Informational placards placed throughout the displays gave us interesting, and often fascinating facts, not just names and dates.



The planes themselves were perfectly restored, with much attention to detail.    They were in pristine condition.




I was fascinated by the tiny details these plane's perfect conditon revealed.







We finished our day by stopping at  nearby Winescape Winery for a little whistle wetting.

a pleasant end to a pleasant day

   



16 comments:

  1. A nice hike - short, but offering a few challenges, great views and a foot bridge. A nice way to spend your morning. Beautiful aircraft displays, so carefully restored.
    And a nice finish tasting at a new winery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a really pleasant way to spend a day, for sure!

      Delete
  2. We've camped at Riverside and hiked that trail! It's very pretty...good for you for going across the scary bridge! It is always a little weird going across suspension bridges.

    I can't believe that summer is almost at an end. It's wonderful that you've had so much time with Jesse and Erin. Will they be coming to visit you this winter in your beautiful new Arizona home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we would have liked to stay at Riverside if it not for their time limit. We'll miss seeing J and E, we've become accustomed to our "routines", but they will come for a Christmas/New Year's visit so we'll have that to look forward to.

      Delete
  3. Good on you at the bridge! That trail down to it looks nearly as challenging. I know David was geeking out with all those lovely airplanes. That red biplane is a beauty! Love all your closeups on the details, it's like being there myself. Truly the summer has gone by way too fast. Can't believe Labor Day is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the trail back up was MUCH better! That red Staggerwing was the most beautiful thing! I've never seen a paint job like that on anything before, and all those planes are in flying condition!

      Delete
  4. We stayed there at Bowl and Pitcher CG in 2015. So many trails right in and from the park i.e perfect. I could show you what's on the other side of the bridge, but I don't want to spoil your next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great time! Love the hike. That is awesome that you tackled that bridge...wahoo! John would have enjoyed the flight museum. Maybe next year when we once again try to book our trip to the northwest we can make the stop there. A special day with Jesse:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can be your "docents"! The third time is the charm I hear, you'll get up here next year and we can show you what we've learned about this area. It was a really special day with Jesse, I'm so glad that we could have it.

      Delete
  6. Love those gigantic boulders at “Bowl and Pitcher”. Those suspension bridges are scary! I’m with you…as long as I look straight ahead or up, I’m usually ok too! Your photos at the planes are amazing…and I love the close up pics of the textures. And oh the shine! What a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those boulders are bigger than they look from up top, I can't wait to cross that bridge next year and explore them up close! I had a good time at the museum, wandering and looking up close while the boys discussed engines and flight capabilities, etc.

      Delete
  7. Holy smokies, that's the most beautiful Staggerwing I have ever seen and I've seen quite a few!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the bridges! Many years ago I hiked into the Grand Canyon with my sister, Mom and friends. There are two bridges at the bottom--the "entry" bridge is made of open mesh grating and you could see the Colorado River WAYYYY below. I didn't think I could do it but it was the only way to get to our lodging and meals. I held my head up high, looked straight ahead and walked fast! A friend has a video and I look terrified! We aren't museum people but I bet Mike would enjoy that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hold your head up, look straight ahead, one foot in front of the other....gets you through most things!

    ReplyDelete